17 February 2013
Until now, the Holy Spirit is only mentioned once. But in this chapter alone, Paul makes mention of Him twenty times! The reason is to highlight the solution for retrieving ourselves from any spiritual rut that we may find ourselves in – by activating and accessing the power of the Holy Spirit in us.
Paul opens the chapter with the promise of no condemnation for those who have been given a new nature in Christ. Now he continues with the characteristics of that nature and what it entails.
This is not only a convicting and a challenging message but it’s also an immensely practical one. Because it gives us clear parameters with which to evaluate where we stand spiritually. Are we walking according to the flesh or according to the Spirit?
• Unbelievers are those who are led by the sinful nature (vs 5-11)
• Believers are those who live according to the Spirit (vs 5, 9)
– The mind set on the Spirit is life and peace.
– The triune God is intimately involved in our salvation (vs 9-11)
– Life given to our mortal bodies via the Holy Spirit who indwells us
• Believers are empowered by the Holy Spirit for victory over sin (vs 12-13)