A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24
Having friends is an important aspect of life because God created us to be people who would flourish in community. Adam was alone… he had God to fellowship with but God saw the need for Adam to have another of his kind… Eve became his wife and friend. The fall into sin did not eradicate the need of friends but it has complicated the discerning process of who we choose to have as our friends. Sam Storms in his book The Apostle Paul on Friendship has recorded from Scripture a list of verses from Scripture that tell us, the dangers of pursuing wrong candidates as our friends.
1. “Do not be envious of evil men, nor desire to be with them, for their minds devise violence and their lips talk of trouble” (Prov.24:1-2).
2. “A perverse man spreads strife, and a slanderer separates intimate friends” (Prov. 16:28).
3. “Leave the presence of a fool, or you will not discern words of knowledge” (Prov. 14:7).
4. “He who goes about as a slanderer reveals secrets; therefore, do not associate with a gossip” (Prov. 20:19).
5. “Do not associate with a man given to anger, or go with a hot-tempered man; lest you learn his ways, and find a snare for yourself” (Prov. 22:24-25).
6. “Do not be with heavy drinkers of wine or with gluttonous eaters of meat” (Prov. 23:20).
7. “Do not associate with those who are given to change, for their calamity will rise suddenly and who knows the ruin that comes from them” (Prov. 24:21-22).